Extension Committee (University of MN)
The Chisago County Board of Commissioners seeks one (1) applicant for appointment to a vacancy on the Chisago County Extension Committee. The position is district specific and will remain open until filled. Read on...
Welcome to the University of Minnesota Extension Service. We look forward to partnering with you to provide educational resources to address local issues. Meetings are held
- 7:00 p.m.
- 2019 Meeting Dates: 2/7, 6/13, 8/15 and 11/7
- Extension Outreach Office
38814 3rd Avenue
North Branch, MN, 55056
The Minnesota State Legislature established County Extension Committees (CEC) in 1923. State statute mandates each county must have an Extension Committee with the following composition: 2 county commissioners, 6 county residents selected by the County Board, and the County Auditor or their designee.
Members serve 3 year terms and may be reappointed. However, many CEC's have ruled that no member can serve more than 2 consecutive terms. Committee members elect their own chair and vice-chair, both serving 1 year terms. The County Auditor serves as secretary.
|Jeske Noodergraaf||District 2||Term: 01/08/2019 to 01/02/2022|
|Nancy Moe-Mergens||District 3||Term: 01/03/2018 to 01/02/2021|
|Charles Yeagar||District 4||Term: 01/08/2019 to 01/02/2022|
|Janet Schweigert||District 5||Term: 01/03/2017 to 01/03/2020|
|Douglas Toavs||At Large||Term: 01/08/2019 to 01/02/2022|
The CEC has 3 major areas of responsibility, as defined by the state statute:
- Program development and evaluation:
- The committee develops an annual program of work in cooperation with the U of Minnesota Extension Service.
- Assist in identifying county needs and matching or empowering county or regional staff in meeting those needs through education programming.
- The committee members often service on the search and interview committees to recommend suitable, qualified persons for Extension Educator positions to the Extension dean and director of Extension.
- By state statute, Extension Educators are U of Minnesota employees.
- The committee also provides yearly input to the Extension Director or supervisor regarding Extension Educator performance in development and delivery of the identified programs.
- Budget development:
- The committee, working with Extension, prepares an annual budget of funds needed for the maintenance, support, and expenses of the county's Extension work and submits it to the County Board for approval.
Extension is an outreach arm of the University of Minnesota. Extension's mission is "connecting community needs and University resources". Extension provides its research and education outreach in urban, suburban and rural communities through its partnership with the federal, state and county government in all 87 Minnesota counties through its 18 regional centers throughout the state.