Create an Account - Increase your productivity, customize your experience, and engage in information you care about.
Humphrey School Recognizes 25 Local Government Projects that Demonstrate Innovation and Collaboration
Minneapolis, MN - November 15, 2017— Across the state of Minnesota, local governments are finding creative ways to deliver services to their residents with greater impact and at lower cost.
A panel of judges considered over 100 submissions for their creativity, sustainability, and collaboration. The overall winners of the five categories will receive a grant from the Bush Foundation to continue their work, and a professionally produced video to use for marketing and awareness. The winners in the city, county, township and school categories will receive a $5,000 grant. The Local Government and Native Nations Collaboration Award winner will receive a $10,000 grant.
• Yellow Line Project—Blue Earth County Human Services, Sheriff's Department, and Mankato Department of Public Safety (overall category winner)
• Broadband Wireless—Traverse County
• Chisago County Regulatory Approach to Solar—Chisago County
• Child Care Licensing Online Orientation—Anoka County
• Adult Shelter Connect—Hennepin County
• Broadband Initiative—Sunrise Township (overall category winner) (located in Chisago County). Sunrise Township spearheaded an extensive effort consisting of community meetings, required notices and securing buy-in from 50 percent of property owners to bring broadband infrastructure to their residents. In a collaborative effort between residents and the township board, they created a Subordinate Service District (SSD) to help facilitate the installation and financing of high-speed internet through Century Link. The township received a grant and began acquiring a bond while Century Link assists with funding and works to install fiber optics to SDD area residents by December 2018.
• Oxford Township Water Monitoring Project—Oxford Township (located in Isanti County)
• Township Maintenance Association—Townships Working Together (located in Renville County)
• Mission Township Park Expansion—Mission Township (located in Crow Wing County)
• 2016 Gravel Road Improvement Project—Clearwater Township (located in Wright County)